- Academic Paper: Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down? Semantic Orientation Applied to Unsupervised Classification of Reviews, P.D Turney, July 2002
- Much work has been done in the past on sentiment in product/movie reviews, but these may not transfer to the domain of finance, and some finance domain knowledge is necessary in analysis.
- AFR Titles may tend to be more extreme (sensationalized) in relation to their actual content
- Necessary to find sources of positive/negative related terms, and how well they correlate with the data set/annotations and vise versa.
- May not be able to be done on word frequency count alone (taking out company name, terms such as the, a etc).
- Could use synonym trees to help with the large term set (lexical database such as WordNet)
- Found information on some research done in this area by Sirca
- Interesting abstract and presentation given by C Robertson: "Enabling Sophisticated Financial Text Mining"
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Meeting with Rafael Calvo, Robert Dale